The Baptism of Jesus at 30 years old is not the model of our baptism. We know that the reason of his baptism, St. John says: "I did not know him, but the reason why I came baptizing with water was that he might be made known to Israel ... I did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, "on whomever you see the Sprit come down and remain, he is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit" Jn 1: 31-33
His circumcision on the 8th day is the Model, because the circumcision
enter the Jewish people into the covenant of God with Abraham. Luke 2:21
and Genesis 17:9-14
In the early church children should be baptized on the eighth day not after, so as to enter into the New Covenant of Jesus.
Today the feast of the Baptism of the Lord, the church wants to remind us to use it as a time to renew our baptismal promises as we are starting a new year 2003. These promises we will renew them again on the Holy Saturday.
Let me remind you of your promises for your baptism. Perhaps you have
You promised to reject:
1) Sin so as to live in the freedom of God's children.
2) The glamor of evil, and refuse to be mastered by sin.
3) Satan, father of sin and prince of darkness
You promised to believe:
1) In God, Creator of heaven and earth
2) In Jesus Christ, who was born of the Virgin, was crucified, died and was buried, rose from the dead.
3) In the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.
You know what? It is because of many people whop have forgotten to live
up with these promises that our world is becoming less and less Christian.
Will you, please, help us to rebuild your family, your village or city, our nation, the world by renewing the promises of your baptism.
We need you to do that so as to teach our children about sharing, love, forgiveness, honesty ...